1. Be specific
Daniel was not vague in his objection to the Babylonian diet. He defined the problem immediately. Daniel 1:8
- The king's food was likely not kosher, against Jewish dietary laws.
- Daniel and his friends had vowed against wine.
- The king's food could have been offered up to idols or demons.
2. Fast as a spiritual commitment
The Daniel Fast involves a spiritual commitment to God. Daniel proposed in his heart that he would not defile himself. Daniel 1:8
3. Reflect inner desire by external discipline
Many people have an inner desire for better health, but they can't discipline themselves to avoid junk food, and other foods that are not healthy. Physical health you seek from God may be more than an answer to prayer. Your physical health may be linked to any of the following factors:
- Your food choices.
- The level of your spiritual commitment, as reflected in constant prayer during the diet of Daniel and his friends.
- Your time commitment. If you determine to fast for a certain time, keep it. For example, if you determine to fast ten days, don't stop on day nine.
- Your testimony commitment. Your fast is a statement of faith in God. You want God to heal your body. Faith is foundational to the Daniel Fast.
4. Pray to see sin's role in your health or sickness
Read James 5:13-20 KJV
James 5:13 Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms. 14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: 15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. 16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
- Actions and attitude are important. James said, Are there any among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms. James 5:13
- The sick person must call for the elders. James 5:14
- Sin is something related to the cause of sickness. James 5:15
- Lack of health or healing may be the result of spiritual rebellion. James 5:15
- Lack of health or healing may be due to sin of wrong consumption, i.e. poor diet, drugs, pornography. James 5:15
- Repentance is linked to health. James 5:16
- Prayer alone may not gain healing, faith in God is the major factor. James 5:15, 17-20
Please do not post this copyrighted information in any form at another website. You may print copies for free distribution, with credit to http://www.christ-web.com/missions/farho/daniel-fast.
5. Fast as a statement of faith to others
Daniel was making a statement of faith when he asked for only vegetables to eat and water to drink, then dared the overseer to compare the appearance of the four sons of Israel with the young men who ate the king's food.
6. Learn the effects of the food you eat
Why are some foods good for us? Why are other foods bad for us? What do certain foods do to your body? If we really knew, there would likely be some things we would never eat again.
7. Yield all results to God
Daniel said, as you see fit, deal with your servants. Daniel 1:13 There is no indication that Daniel or his friends ever began to eat the king's food.
Please do not post this copyrighted information in any form at another website. You may print copies for free distribution, with credit to http://DanielDietFast.com.
Daniel Fast Recipes | Daniel Fast Food List to Avoid | Daniel Fast Food List to Enjoy | Answers to Daniel Fast Questions | Instructions: How to do a Daniel Fast | Daniel Fast Resources | Daniel Fast Blog | Daniel Fast Scriptures | Daniel Fast Tips | Daniel Fast Comments
- Fasting For Spiritual Breakthrough by Elmer L. Towns
- Books by Elmer Towns
- The Diet of Daniel: A 10 Day Diet to Blessed Health, Weight Loss, and Fitness (Paperback) by Ernest Edsel
- Search for books about fasting
Fasting For Spiritual Breakthrough by Elmer L. Towns, published in 1996 by Regal Books, Ventura, California.
Daystar website http://www.daystar.com/