This page contains links to other Internet sites. These links are not endorsements of any products or services in such sites, and no information in such site has been endorsed or approved by this site. Please contact us if you find an inappropriate link.
Nine Steps to a Younger You
Thu, 25 May 2006 from RealAge.com
No matter how great your health is today, you have to take steps to stay healthy throughout the coming years.
Here are nine of the most popular RealAge.com steps to growing younger.
1. Eat breakfast every day. Studies show that breakfast eaters
live longer than breakfast skippers.
Action plan: Start with good food. A fatty, nutrition-poor breakfast is almost as bad for your health as no breakfast.
2. Take your vitamins. Taking a daily multivitamin supplement
is one of the quickest and easiest ways to get younger.
Action plan: Fill in the nutrition gaps in your diet with a multivitamin. Getting the right amount of supplements like calcium, folic acid, vitamin C, and vitamin E helps you reduce your risk for conditions such as osteoporosis, arterial aging, heart attack, and cancer. Find out how much you need of the major nutrients.
3. Fill up on fiber. A diet high in fiber can significantly
lower your rate of aging. Fiber aids in digestion, stabilizes
blood glucose, and helps lower your risk of heart attack.
Action plan: Aim for 25 grams of fiber per day. Read food labels and learn the fiber content of fresh foods so you can add up the grams.
4. Be active. Regular exercise not only helps you look and feel
great, it also makes you years younger.
Action plan: RealAge benefits begin with at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity on most days of the week. Design your own fitness routine.
5. Know your blood pressure. Ideally your blood pressure should
be 115/75 mm Hg or lower.
Action plan: If you haven't had your blood pressure taken recently, invest in a monitor you can use at home, or find a pharmacy with one. If your blood pressure is high, make an appointment with your healthcare provider.
6. Floss your teeth. Flossing and brushing your teeth daily has
a direct and positive effect on oral health and an indirect
benefit to heart health.
Action plan: Floss at least once a day, no matter how hectic life is. Carry a small container of floss with you to floss on the run, if need be.
7. Wear your seatbelt. If you wear your seatbelt, you'll protect
both your life and the lives of other people in your car. People
who aren't safely buckled in can cause injury to other people
Action plan: Buckle up before you shift into drive or reverse. Many accidents happen in parking lots or driveway entries.
8. Laugh a lot. Laughter makes you happier -- and younger! People
with a sunny disposition tend to have better health.
Action plan: Make a date to watch a funny movie with your friends tonight.
9. Reduce stress. Stress can hamper immune system function,
opening the door to needless aging.
Action plan: The best way to get a handle on stress is to spend time with supportive people. A strong social network of friends and family can help diminish the negative effects of stress. More stress reduction strategies
More fitness posts:
Food or diet
- 15 No-Brainer Ways to Cut Out About 100 Calories a Day
- Dining Out, Made Easy!
- Ready for Thanksgiving?
- 5 Temptation Foods to Eliminate
- Greek Food Is Smart Food
- Stop boredom eating!
- Eliminate Eat-More Foods
- Power of Protein
- Beauty from the Fridge
- Specific Types of Fat
- Practice Portion Control!
- Eat Beautifully
- Great Workout, Just Add Water
- Stop Food Headaches!
- Break the Soda Habit!
- Need healthy snacks?
- Nine Steps to a Younger You
- Prevent Childhood Obesity
- Energy In, Energy Out
- Good-Mood Food
- Curb Overeating
- Downsizing your tableware
- Avoid Supermarket Temptations
- Plateau-Busting Tips
- Can pills peel off pounds?
- Fight Fructose Flab
- Eat to Beat the 3 pm Slump
- Buffet Survival Tips
- New Diet Tricks!
- A Real Nut Case
- When Snacks Attack!
- The Italian Pasta Diet
- Java at the Gym?
- Give Your Workout a Break!
- Burn Calories on the Stairs!
- Weight loss intervals
- Work that walk!
- Reasons to Pump Iron
- Hooray for Housework!
- Get Crunching!
- Winter Wonderland Workouts
- Boost Your Metabolism!
- Jump for Your Health
- Keep Kids' Sports Safe
- Strapped for Time?
- Exercise Keeps Your Brain Young!
- Stretch Safely!
- Your Workout Range
- The Perfect Workout
- Slow and Steady
- Three Keys to Fitness!
- Stand Up for Rock-Hard Abs
- Happiness Workout
- Maximize your aerobic activity!
- Are You Exerting Yourself?
- Energy In, Energy Out
- Java at the Gym?
- Firm Your Thighs On the Phone!
- Burn Fat Faster: 10 Great Tips!
- Six Workout Wreckers