Thwart a Sweet Tooth!
by Denise Austin
Are you a softie for sweets? The empty calories from sugary treats are a big reason for many people's battle with the bulge. Find out what tricks other Fit Forever! members use to temper a sweet tooth:
- Cut back gradually: If going cold turkey on sweets only makes you want them more, try cutting out one or two each day over time.
- Keep a food journal: You'll be less likely to reach for those empty calories when you see in writing how fast they add up.
- Substitute: If you must have a sweet, pick a small one. Have a Tootsie Pop instead of a candy bar, for example.
- Clear out: If you can't resist temptation, don't keep sweets in your cupboard at home or in your desk at work.
- Load up on aqua: Drink a big glass of water when a craving hits, or have a cup of fruit-flavored herbal tea. That's usually all it takes to make it pass.
- Be active: Take a walk, put on an exercise video, or take a spin on the bike when your sweet tooth strikes. By the time you finish, the craving is usually gone and you've burned calories instead of eating them.
- Get back on track: Don't beat yourself up or abandon your goal if you slip up. Managing your weight isn't about perfection, it's about persistence!