Ten tips to keep fit at home
The American Heart Association gives us these ten tips to stay fit at home. Their expert's tell us it's convenient, comfortable and safe to work out at home. It allows our children to see us active, setting a great example for them and our spouse. We can combine exercise with other activities, such as watching TV. If we buy good quality exercise equipment, it's a one-time expense that the whole family can enjoy. It makes it easy for us to have short workouts several times a day.
- Do housework ourself instead of hiring someone else to do it.
- Work in the garden or mow the grass, not with a riding mower! Rake your leaves, prune, dig and pick up trash.
- Take a short walk before breakfast, after dinner or both! Start with 5-10 minutes and work up to 30 minutes.
- Walk or bike to the corner store.
- Pick up the pace when walking. Walk a hilly route. When watching TV, sitting up. Walk on your treadmill or pedal on your stationary bicycle while watching TV. Hide your remote controls. Don't ask someone to bring you a drink, get up off the couch and get it yourself.
- Stand while talking on the telephone.
- Walk your dog.
- Park farther away and walk the extra distance with a smile. Wear comfortable shoes and sneak in an extra lap or two around the mall.
- Stretch to reach things in high places and squat or bend to look at items at floor level.
- Keep your exercise equipment repaired and use it!