I. Five Pillars of Islam
- Proclamation of faith
Pray five times a day
- said in Arabic: "There is no deity but God (Allah) and Mohammed is his prophet."
- once spoken, one is said to be a Muslim (one who submits to the will of God)
Fasting at Ramadan
- at dawn, mid-morning, midday, early evening, after sundown
- the muezzin calls Muslims to prayer from the top of the mosque's minaret tower
Give to the poor
- Ramadan or Ramadhan is the ninth month of the Islamic year, according to the lunar calendar.
- Siyam or Saum ("fasting" in English) requires fasting every day from sunrise to sunset during the 30 days of Ramadan.
- One of the last five odd numbered days of the month is called the Laylat al-Qadr (Night of Power), marking the date of the revelations of the first verses of the Qur'an to the Prophet Muhammad.
- The Islamic holiday of Eid ul-Fitr marks the end of Ramadan.
Pilgrimage to Mecca
- portion of salary
- portion of food on religious holidays
- if the Muslim can afford it
II. Five major prophets
- Noah--builder of the Ark; survivor of the great flood
- Abraham--father of Ishmael (founder of the Arabic tribe of Israel)
- Moses--led Israelites out of bondage in Egypt
- Jesus--(discussed later)
- Mohammed--said to be God's last prophet; the Koran (Quaran or Qur'an)their holy book was revealed to him
III. Some other beliefs in Islam
- Women are to be highly respected and revered
- foundation behind the belief in covering herself; modesty
Friday is the holy day
- men can have up to four wives
- they must all be treated equally in every way (emotionally, sexually, materially, etc.)
- most important day to pray at the mosque; done around midday
IV. Some things forbidden in Islam
- Fornication: Sex is outlawed outside of the marriage bond
- Eating pork: Pigs are considered unclean animals as in the Jewish tradition
- Drinking alcohol
V. Jesus in Islam (from a Muslim point of view)
- Jesus is an important prophet who foretold of Mohammed
Jesus was not God nor any special Son of God
He never claimed to be God
The New Testament Gospels are distorted by their writers
Jesus was born of the Virgin Mary
He was to be crucified, but was replaced on the cross before the moment of his death with an angel or Judas (Some say God wouldn't allow the prophet Jesus to be killed by man so they created this theory).
- John 14:16 : "And I will pray the Father, and he will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever..." (This verse is actually speaking of the Holy Spirit)
Tell a friend about our Islam Web pages.