Ramadan or Ramadhan is the ninth month of the Islamic year. Ramadan is the fourth of the Five Pillars of Islam and one of the ten Branches of Religion in Shi'a Islam. Siyam or Saum ("fasting" in English) requires fasting every day from sunrise to sunset during the month of Ramadan. It reaches its height in its last ten days. One of the last five odd numbered days of the month is called the Laylat al-Qadr (Night of Power), marking the date of the revelation of the first verses of the Qur'an to the Prophet Muhammad.
At the termination of the Ramadan fast, Eid ul-Fitr is celebrated. Muslims come out and rejoice with a sense of accomplishment for coming closer to Allah. It is a time for Muslim families and friends to worship and celebrate together.
Fasting is intended to teach Muslims patience and self-control. The fast is also seen as a great sign of obedience by the believer to God. Faithful observance of the Siyam is believed to atone for personal faults and misdeeds, at least in part, and to help earn a place in paradise. It is also believed to be beneficial for personal conduct, to help control passions and temper. The fast is also meant to provide time for meditation and to strengthen an individual's faith.
30-Day Muslim Prayer Focus
The annual 30-Day Muslim Prayer Focus is sponsored by 30-Days Global Prayer Network. It is provided for the month of Ramadan. Every year, a Prayer Guide provides information for intercessors to focus on Muslims during the 30 days of Ramadan. These are Islam's most holy days. As hundreds of millions of Muslims around the world fast during the daylight hours of their holy month, millions of Christians will be praying in love for their salvation. This is an invaluable resource for praying people. Order the Ramadan 30-Day Muslim Prayer Focus.
Pray for Muslims during their Ramadan time of fasting:
- For God to call millions of Christians around the world into united, focused prayer, countering the spiritual forces behind Islam, crying out to God for the revelation of Jesus to spring forth among Muslim people as they go on the Hajj.
- For cooperation between denominations, churches, and para-church groups in unified times of prayer for the Muslims.
- Pray that the Christians of the Arab world will actively take Christ to their Muslim neighbors.
- For "Daniels" and "Esthers" to rise up in places of influence throughout the Muslim world.
- For the enemy's plans against the gospel to be thwarted.
- Islam means "submission to God." Pray for Muslims to become fully submitted to God in Christ.
Information about Islamic beliefs, Ramadan, sharing God's love with Muslims, areas where Islam dominates the religious scene, and other material vital to informed, focused prayer, are provided in the Prayer Guide. The guide is illustrated and available in two editions, one for adults and one for children. You may obtain your copy of the 30-Day Muslim Prayer Focus guidebook by visiting the 30-Days of Prayer for the Muslim World website.
- Dates in Islam
- Hajj (pilgrimage)
- Holidays for Muslims
- Islam in Arabia
- Pillars of Islam
- Pray for Muslims
- Ramadan prayer guide
- Purchase Quran
- Islam DVD reviews