The following prayer was issued on September 14, 2001 by the hundreds of Christian leaders and denominations that comprise The Mission America Coalition, America's National Prayer Committee, The National Association of Evangelicals and the National Day of Prayer Task Force. Churches are encouraged to read or pray this prayer in unison, students were encouraged to pray this together Wednesday September 19, 2001, during See You At the Pole morning prayer assemblies, and individual believers and families are encouraged to join in praying this in agreement.
A full-page ad version appeared in the Tuesday, September 18, 2001 issue of USA Today.
Let us pray
Sovereign of the Ages
Lord of the Nations
God of Our Fathers
Source of all Comfort and all Hope
YOU HAVE SPOKEN TO US IN PRECIOUS PROMISES:
- that Your plans stand firm forever, so that any nation is blessed whose God is the Lord. Psalm 33
- that You are our Shepherd, delivering us from all evil even in the valley of the shadow of death. Psalm 23
- that through the resurrection of Your Son, death itself is swallowed up in victory. 1 Corinthians 15
YOU HAVE ALSO SHOWN US THROUGHOUT THE PAST:
- that Your mighty arm can bring justice to nations who put their hope in You Isaiah 51
- that You know how to comfort those who mourn, bestow beauty for ashes, and provide garments of praise for a spirit of despair Isaiah 61
- that You will not disregard our cause, but give strength to the weary until we soar again on wings like eagles. Isaiah 40
YOU COMFORT US EVEN NOW BY THE ONE WHO SAID:
- "I am the Resurrection and the Life so that whoever believes in Me will never die." John 11
- "Others come to steal, Kill and destroy; but I have come to give you the fullness of life." John 10
- "Though in the world you will have trouble, in me you can have peace for I have overcome the world." John 16
THEREFORE, TOGETHER AS "ONE NATION UNDER GOD,"
The God in Whom we trust, we lift up one voice to You across the land, asking in an hour of unprecedented sorrow:
- Receive us in our humility and brokenness before You.
- Strengthen those whose grieving hearts cry out to You.
- Shepherd us in mercy through this valley of tears.
- Unveil before all that the Lamb reigns supreme.
- In the place of destruction,
pour out the full extent of Jesus' life.
- In the place of confusion and fear,
be to us a wonderful, mighty Prince of Peace.
- In the place of mourning and despair,
cover us with comfort and reassurance.
- In the midst of our great troubles,
give us Christ's victory over all the terrors of Hell.
As never before, awaken and sustain us as a nation with the triumphant hope we have in You and in You alone.
Across America, with a spirit of urgency, we pray in confidence that "You who spared not Your own Son but gave Him up freely for us all" will not fail to hear and answer us.
In the Name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. AMEN